Friday, May 21, 2010

Driving in Doha

When asked, "What is one of the biggest challenges facing expats in Qatar?", the most resounding reponse is "Driving!". Honestly, when I arrived here 14 months ago, I was shocked by the absolutely arrogant wrecklessness exhibited by the local Qatari drivers, and was equally terrified by the frightful driving skills of many third world expats.  During my first two or three weeks of driving here, I felt like I had at least one near-death experience every time I took to the roadways.  But now, those fears all seem to be a distant memory. Coming from a western culture that promotes defensive driving, I quickly realized that one must take a much more aggressive approach to merely survive here. Heck, after of a year of driving in Qatar, I'm ready for NASCAR.  Watch out Jimmie Johnson and Jeff Gordon!

Whether it be negotiating a three-lane round-about (driving circle), or trying to avoid contact with a "lane-wanderer", one becomes accustomed to the hazards of daily driving in Doha.  But one thing remains constant: We must remember to buckle up. Coming home from work the other day, I witnessed this scene which must have just happened.


A Qatari woman and an Arab expat had this little fender-bender. Luckily, nobody was hurt. But I am always amazed about the cavalier attitude that non-westerners have about using seat belts. Very rarely do we see children in safety car seats. Kids are simply allowed to roam around the car without limitation nor restraint.

I find it curious how almost every local Qatari drives a late model Toyota Land Cruiser; - almost always white body paint with side body graphics/decals.  Why so much of the same?  I don't really know.  No doubt a Land Crusier is a quality vehicle that is also well adapted for this part of the world. But why this model? And why mostly white?  Perhaps in a culture that requires outward conformity, we see Qatari men dressing alike with their Guttrahs and Thobes. And for those women in compliance with Hijab, the Qatari women are clad in their long flowing Abaya with their customary Shayla and Niqab (head /facial) coverings. So I can only guess that this same conformity becomes evident in other lifestyle purchases; - including their cars.

1 comment:

  1. This reminds me of my time in Costa Rica. Luckily I took the back seat, but I still felt scared.

    ReplyDelete